Thursday, June 13, 2013

WTF is a Derecho?

It seems whenever we have a weird weather event, we get all these different kind of names we have never heard before. I've heard "El Nino" and La Nina", even bow echoes now and then on the weather forecast. But what the heck is a derecho?
According to the Weather Channel, "Derechoes are large clusters of thunderstorms that produce widespread wind damage, usually as a result of one or more curved lines of thunderstorms known as bow echoes. The word in the Spanish language means "straight" and these windstorms leave wide, long swaths of straight-line wind damage. These winds can be as strong as 50 to 100 mph (or higher)!"
Where I live, I was spared the force of the wind from the derecho by about 50 miles. Another word in the Spanish language is nacho. No matter missing the storm, my wife can provide much more wind from the force of her eating "DE" nachoes! Trust me, it's true. And the terror continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment